Saturday, 9 November 2013

Winners of the 2013 You Tube Awards!

Winners of the 2013 You Tube Awards_Celebrity English

The You Tube Music Award Show is here to stay! And is only going to get better and bigger!  With 6 categories based on You tube statistics,  it is redefining award shows Internet style!  Highlights also included live performances from big name music artists like Eminem and Lady Gaga!


Let's take a look at the Categories, Winners, and Nominees for 2013!  There is a lot of fantastic talent here!



 
Response of the Year

YouTube: "Honoring the best fan remix, parody or response video, these nominees represent the top 'unofficial' fan videos on YouTube based on your views, shares and other activity."

WINNER: Lindsey Stirling and Pentatonix: "Radioactive"



       
Other Nominees:

    Boyce Avenue (feat. Fifth Harmony): "Mirrors"

    Jayesslee: "Gangnam Style"

    ThePianoGuys: "Titanium / Pavane"

    Walk Off the Earth (feat. KRNFX): "I Knew You Were Trouble"



 


YouTube Phenomenon

YouTube: "Recognizing the YouTube trends the world could not escape from, nominees are based on the phenomena that generated the most fan videos."

WINNER: I Knew You Were Trouble (by Taylor Swift)


                        
Other Nominees:

    Diamonds

    Gangnam Style


    Harlem Shake

    Thrift Shop


 


YouTube Breakthrough

YouTube: "Honoring the music world’s breakout new acts, nominees represent the artists who experienced the biggest growth in views and subscribers."

WINNER: Macklemore and Ryan Lewis




Other Nominees:

    Kendrick Lamar

    Naughty Boy

    Passenger

    Rudimental



 


Innovation of the Year

YouTube: "Starting with videos selected by an international panel of musicians, YouTubers and creative luminaries, we then selected the creative video innovations that resonated most with fans on YouTube, based on views, likes, shares and comments."

WINNER: DeStorm: "See Me Standing"




Other Nominees:

    Anamanaguchi: "ENDLESS FANTASY"

    Atoms For Peace: "Ingenue"

    Bat For Lashes: "Lilies"

    Toro Y Moi: "Say That"

 


Video of the Year

YouTube: "Honoring the world’s most loved music videos, these nominees represent the videos with the most fan engagement on YouTube over the last year.
"

WINNER: Girls' Generation: "I Got A Boy"





Other Nominees:

    Demi Lovato: "Heart Attack"

    Epic Rap Battles of History: "Barack Obama vs Mitt Romney"

    Justin Bieber (feat. Nicki Minaj): "Beauty And A Beat"

    Lady Gaga: "Applause"

    Macklemore and Ryan Lewis (feat. Mary Lambert): "Same Love"

    Miley Cyrus: "We Can't Stop"

    One Direction: "Best Song Ever"

    PSY: "Gentleman"

    Selena Gomez: "Come & Get It"

 


Artist of the Year

Youtube: "Honoring the acts YouTube fans have made stars, nominees represent the most watched, shared, liked, and subscribed-to artists on YouTube."

WINNER: Eminem





 Other Nominees:

    Epic Rap Battles of History

    Justin Bieber

    Katy Perry

    Macklemore and Ryan Lewis

    Nicki Minaj

    One Direction

    PSY

    Rihanna

    Taylor Swift



See you soon! Alex




Connect with ALEX here or at
Celebrity English_Alex Graham
 Celebrity English International
Celebrity English Face book
Celebrity English Myspace
Celebrity English Twitter
Google Plus
Celebrity English Pinterest
Celebrity English Tumblr
Celebrity English Linkedin




 
Language Learning Section
Natural Language Boost with Taylor Swift!

Taylor Swift_Listening Practice


As we saw above, Taylor Swift's "I Knew You Were Trouble" generated the most fan videos.  Even Selena Gomez did a version of this song!  Here is Taylor Swift's Official song "I Knew You Were Trouble".

Part One - Listening Practice

Instructions:  Listen to Taylor Swift's "I Knew You Were Trouble" video and fill in the blanks with the missing words from the song.  




 TAYLOR SWIFT LYRICS - Fill in the blanks. 

"I Knew You Were Trouble

 [Music video spoken part:]  
I think--I think when it's all over,
It just __________, you know?
It's like a kaleidoscope of memories.
It just all comes back. But he never does.
I think __________ the second I saw him that this would happen.
It's not really anything he said or anything he did,
It was the feeling that came along with it.
And 
__________ I don't know if I'm ever gonna feel that way again.
But I don't know if I should.
I knew his world __________ and burned too bright.
But I just thought, how can the devil be pulling you toward someone who looks so much like an angel when he smiles at you?
Maybe he knew that when he saw me.
I guess I just lost my balance.
I think that the worst part of it all wasn't losing him.
It was losing me.

__________ a few mistakes ago
I was in your sights, you got me alone
You found me, you found me, you found me
I guess you didn't care, and I guess I liked that
And when I __________ you took a step back
Without me, without me, without me

And he's __________ when he's next to me
And I realize the blame is on me

'Cause I knew you were trouble when you walked in
So shame on me now
Flew me to places I'd never been
'Til you put me down, oh
I knew you were trouble when you walked in
So shame on me now
Flew me to places I'd never been
Now I'm lying on the cold hard ground
Oh, oh, trouble, trouble, trouble
Oh, oh, trouble, trouble, trouble

No apologies. He'll never see you cry,
Pretends he doesn't know that he's the reason why.
You're drowning, you're drowning, you're drowning.
Now I heard you __________ from whispers on the street
A new __________  is all I'll ever be
And now I see, now I see, now I see

He was long gone when he met me
And I realize the joke is on me, yeah!

I knew you were trouble when you walked in
So shame on me now
Flew me to places I'd never been
'Til you put me down, oh
I knew you were trouble when you walked in
So shame on me now
Flew me to places I'd never been
Now I'm lying on the cold hard ground
Oh, oh, trouble, trouble, trouble
Oh, oh, trouble, trouble, trouble

And the saddest fear comes __________
That you never loved me or her, or anyone, or anything, yeah

I knew you were trouble when you walked in
So shame on me now
Flew me to places I'd never been
'Til you put me down, oh
I knew you were trouble when you walked in (you were right there, you were right there)
So shame on me now
Flew me to places I'd never been
Now I'm lying on the cold hard ground
Oh, oh, trouble, trouble, trouble
Oh, oh, trouble, trouble, trouble

I knew you were trouble when you walked in
Trouble, trouble, trouble
I knew you were trouble when you walked in
Trouble, trouble, trouble

[Music video spoken part:]
I don't know if you know who you are until you lose who you are.




Part Two - Vocabulary

Instructions:  Create a vocabulary list from the missing words from Part One.  Write down the meanings of the words and create your own sentence using the words from the Taylor Swift Video.


Vocabulary List and Meanings

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.


Example Sentences

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.

Part Three - Comprehension Questions

1. What is this song about?

2. How does she feel about the result?


Bonus! Celebrity Trivia!
Who did Taylor Swift write this song about? Hint -  He's a famous singer.   





Answer Ideas

Part One and Two

comes back in flashes = returns in vivid mental images or pictures.

part of me knew = to some degree/amount I knew...

the crazy thing is = the funny or strange thing is...

moved too fast = to move too fast:  to rush into something; not thinking about something enough. In a relationship case: to become too serious too quickly; need to slow down (negative feeling in this case).

Once upon a time = at some time in the past (expression used as a conventional opening of a story).

fell hard = to fall for someone: to be very attracted to someone and to start to love them. hard: in this case emphasizes the feeling like 'very' or 'really'. Taylor Swift was really 'in love' with this person.

long gone = to be long gone: to have left a while ago or long time ago.

moved on = to leave a relationship. Also to leave something and start something new.

notch in your belt = when somebody grows, they change the notch they hook their belt buckle. Metaphorically, this means Taylor is just one of the notches that he has changed into and out of, notches being a metaphor for the girls her ex-lover has dated.  This expression can also have the negative idea of sexual conquest. 

creeping in = (adj) developing gradually over a period of time (has a negative or darker feeling).


Part Three

1. What is this song about?
Breaking up with a guy.

2. How does she feel about the result? 

"I don't know if you know who you are until you lose who you are."
Taylor Swift feels she has become stronger or more self aware because of this negative experience.  She has grown as a person.



Bonus! Celebrity Trivia!
Who did Taylor Swift write this song about? Hint -  He's a famous singer.  

Harry Styles of the band One Direction 

Harry Styles Trivia